After a long hiatus, the “Best Of” has made its return. I know you all missed it terribly (*grin*). So without a further ado, here’s this week’s “Best Of”: Continue reading
For a city the size of Charlotte, there’s not much there in the way of outstanding barbecue. There are several adequate places, and there are even a couple that are good. But in the years that I’ve lived here, the only place that I have tried that I would call excellent is Mac’s Speed Shop. However, I kept hearing about Bill Spoon’s Barbecue, so I decided to give it a shot one day for lunch.
Posted in Food Reviews, Restaurants
Tagged barbecue, BBQ, BBQ Joints, Bill Spoon's Barbecue, Charlotte BBQ Joints, Charlotte NC, Eastern Carolina, NC BBQ Joints, North Carolina, Pork
North Carolina likes to lay a claim as the birthplace of barbecue. While cities like Kansas City may disagree, there is a lot of history when it comes to barbecue in North Carolina. In fact, books have been written solely devoted to barbecue in NC. Today, I had the opportunity to try one of the cornerstones of NC barbecue when I had lunch today at Bridges Barbecue Lodge.
Hope your weekend has gone well! Here are items that made my list of “stuff to read from last week”:
- Wilfred Reinke tells us about his experience at Southern Soul Barbecue (and makes quite a few of us jealous in the process).
- The owners of Bridges Barbecue Lodge in Shelby, NC, extended an invitation to the Obamas for some BBQ. If the place is as good as advertised, the Obamas should take them up on the invitation.
- The Cookstons list out the Top 10 Reasons to Cook Competitively. Can’t argue with any of their reasons.
- Don’t forget to vote for my buddy Lionel in the Kingsford University contest. Info can be found here.
- And finally… guys, watch the video below for tips on what you can do for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day.
For lunch yesterday, I got a craving for BBQ. I did not really feel like fighting the crowds at Mac’s Speed Shop today, no matter how good the ‘cue is. After doing some research, I found Shane’s Rib Shack, which is fairly close to my office.
On my ever-going search for good BBQ in Charlotte, I stumbled across a place close to my job called the Old Hickory House Restaurant. After reading a few reviews about it on Yelp, I decided to give it a shot. (Today’s pictures brought to you again by my crappy cell phone camera)
I often lament the lack of good quality BBQ joints here in the Charlotte, NC metro area. It really is a shame that in a city the size of Charlotte, the closest good BBQ joint is a 45-60 minute drive away. There were a couple of joints close to my previous employer that were okay, but they were nothing spectacular.
Posted in Product Reviews, Restaurants
Tagged barbecue, BBQ, BBQ Joints, Brisket, Charlotte BBQ Joints, Charlotte NC, Chicken, Fried Pickles, NC BBQ Joints, Pork, Ribs