Last weekend, I was down at The Meat House in Charlotte to meet up with the founder of Outta the Park BBQ Sauce. While I was waiting, I happened to ask one of the guys behind the counter if they had any tri-tip. Sure enough, they did, and I brought home a beautiful 1.75 lb. piece of meat. This is my experience of cooking tri-tip for the first time.
This late-night post (which some of you may see first thing in the morning) is less of a product review and more talking about how I used a couple of products to make something tasty.
On my lunch break on Friday, I stopped in at Restaurant Depot (day passes are a perk of being a KCBS member) and picked up a 2-pack of bone-in pork butts. What in the world was I going to do with all this meat? Why cook it, of course! I have to have something for lunch for the next couple of weeks. But I couldn’t just use one type of rub. So I present to you Duelling Butts: Bigmista’s Perfect Pork Rub vs. Draper’s AP Rub!
February 9th is the last day for entries to be submitted for Season 3 of BBQ Pitmasters. I’ve just spent the last two hours looking at the videos, and all of the teams that I’ve found videos for did a good job in letting their personalities shine through. Just sit back and enjoy the videos for each team, and let me know which one was your favorite. If I missed one, please let me know!!
One week away from the Super Bowl. But you don’t need an excuse to fire up your grill or outdoor cooker. Just an opportunity. To help you get in the mood, check out these links I found just for you…
I’ve been terrible about keeping these going on a consistent basis. But there have been some really good articles that I have come across lately. Consider this my time to share these with you… Continue reading “Best Of: January 22, 2012”
A few days ago, I saw an article on one of the blogs for the Charlotte Observer advertising Hog Butchering Day at Historic Brattonsville. Hog butchering? You’ve got my attention! So with not being sure what exactly to expect, I decided to make the (approximately) one hour trip from the outskirts of Charlotte, NC down to Historic Brattonsville. What I got was an experience…
Well… 2011 is in the book, and 2012 is upon us, staring us in the face! Happy New Year to everyone! I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you that read what I have to say. I can’t believe that it was nearly a year ago when all of this got started with a review of C-Dub’s Hot Wang Rub. It’s been a fun and crazy ride ever since!
Hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season! I haven’t done one of these in quite some time, so let’s get going!
- Robyn Medlin Lindars is giving away a Thermapen!! Today (Dec. 18) is the last day to enter!! Details to enter are on her blog.
- Looking for a new Christmas carol to sing? Here are some lyrics pinned by DivaQ herself.
- I like mushrooms. I like Swiss. I LOVE BACON! So when I saw this recipe for Bacon-Onion Swiss Stuffed Mushrooms from Pig of the Month BBQ, I jumped for joy!
- Thanks to the Oshawa Ogre, this may be the only time you will ever catch me in 1970s style bell bottoms. Bet you didn’t know I had moves like that, huh?
- In the spirit of Time Magazine’s “Person of the Year”, Grilling with Rich is running a “BBQ Person of the Year” poll. Click here to cast your vote!
- Looking for a neat gadget to give that BBQer in your family? Check out this review of the Looftlighter!
- And finally, the Oshawa Ogre finally reveals his lifelong dream — he really wants to be a Broad. Check out this fun write-up about his experiences with the Burger Broads.
Santa Claus has connections in the BBQ world, and he’s coming early! At least he is for four lucky people…