Sweet tea and whiskey – they’re not just for drinking anymore! These are just two of the seven flavors that experts at McCormick® and Lawry’s ® predict will be highlighting cookouts this summer.
Last summer I had the privilege of working with McCormick® as a Grillerhood Ambassador, and I’m thrilled to be partnering with them again as part of their 2013 Flavor Forecast: Grilling Edition! Over the next couple of months, I’ll be talking about how to incorporate into your cookout different aspects of the flavors to watch. Many of these flavors and trends are interwoven into the latest line of McCormick® Grill Mates® rubs, marinades, seasonings, and steak sauces.
Here are the seven flavors predicted by McCormick® and Lawry’s® to be prevalent on backyard grills throughout the country.
- Sweet Tea – this classic Southern staple adds just the right touches of bitter and sweet flavors to your marinades and sauces
- Smoked Tomato – adding a kiss of smoke to this juicy fruit (or vegetable, depending on which side of the fence you’re on) gives an additional level of complexity that works well on sandwiches, pizzas, and salads
- Oregano – bring the Mediterranean to your backyard with this bold, aromatic herb
- White Peach – this delicate fruit not only works well as a refresher alongside grilled foods, but it also works well as a grilled food itself
- Pecan wood – one of my all-time favorite smoking woods, this wood adds a sweet, nutty, and well-rounded smoke flavor to beef, chicken, and pork
- Ginger – give your chicken or pork an Asian flair with the warm, intense flavors that ginger possesses
- Whiskey – tastes great neat or over ice, but is even better as a marinade component
Also with the new summer comes a new line of McCormick® Grill Mates® rubs, marinades, seasonings, and steak sauces. I’ve already tried out the Montreal Steak Sauce on burgers, and it adds an extra kick of savory flavor! I’m also looking forward to trying out the Smokin’ Sweet Tea Marinade to add an extra layer of flavor to chicken and pork.
But it’s not just about the flavor this summer. As part of the Grilling Flavor Forecast, learn how you can use “Social S’mores” to add a fun element to that get-together, and see what smoke/spice/protein pairings make the cut for that electrifying summer cookout! Think you can do better? Log on to the McCormick® Grill Mates® Facebook page and chime in!
How would you incorporate one or more of these flavors into your outdoor cooking?
(NOTE: This is part of a paid summer partnership with McCormick®. )