Back in February, the committee for the 2012 Democratic National Convention (in Charlotte, NC) launched a search for the best BBQ sauces to be named the official BBQ sauces of the 2012 Democratic National Convention. Thirty different submissions were received in three categories: tomato based, mustard based, and vinegar based. Submissions ranged from homemade BBQ sauces to nationally recognized brands. The standard used in judging the various sauces was based on the South Carolina BBQ Society score sheet, scoring on a scale from 1 to 20 in four different criteria: aroma, taste, after taste, and overall impression.
The following people served as judges on the selection panel:
- Charlotte mayor Anthony Foxx
- Charlotte in 2012 Convention Host Committee Executive Director Dan Murrey
- Charlotte Observer food editor Kathleen Purvis
- South Carolina BBQ Society judges Brian and Sherry Teague
- Jon Fortes, Executive Chef at Mimosa Grill
The winners of the sauces are unveiled in the video below.