I’m going to approach this restaurant review a little different. A lot of times I will go on and on and on into great elaborate detail about a restaurant. This one, however, I will keep short and sweet. Because, quite frankly, pictures speak more than words…
A coworker and I took a short-notice trip this weekend from Charlotte to Tampa to attend SQL Saturday and made a little detour over to St. Simons Island, GA, to hit up Southern Soul Barbeque. If you’re familiar with Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives or BBQ Pitmasters Season 2, you’ll recognize this place. And we arrived there just in time!
I admit it – I pigged out. I ordered the ribs & brisket combo plate with mac & cheese and Brunswick stew. And then I saw the burnt end sandwich. Had to get that too! (No, I didn’t eat it all) My coworker order the pulled pork with mac & cheese and cornbread.
Overall observations are as follows:
- Ribs were quite tasty! They were sweet with a balancing chili/cumin flavor.
- Brisket was a lean brisket. Cooked quite nicely. Not too dry at all! Very similar to what I have tasted on the KCBS competition circuit.
- The burnt end sandwich was amazing! Totally worth the drive.
- The mac & cheese was just okay. Not terrible, but nothing really noteworthy.
- Brunswick stew was really yummy! Very fresh tasting with some sweetness added in.
I hope that my coworker will chime in and comment on his thoughts about his meal, but it sure looked really good! They also have a wide range of sauces available for purchase (also available for purchase online).
Information on Southern Soul Barbeque
- Address – 2020 Demere Rd., St. Simons Island, GA
- Website – http://www.southernsoulbbq.com
- Facebook — http://www.facebook.com/SouthernSoulBBQ
- Twitter — https://twitter.com/#!/southernsoulbbq
More photos from this visit are available on the Facebook page for Big Wayner’s BBQ Blog.